View Single Post
Old 02-02-2021, 10:49 PM   #8
35fordtn

Default Re: Dual points for increased dwell??

Given the technology of coils in the 1930's and the Distributor cam design, dual points were indeed necessary on 32-48 stock Fords. original Ford coils need a minimum of 30-32 degrees of dwell to charge properly. The Most dwell that can safely be accomplished with one single point on a 32-48 is 30 degrees. That is with .006" breaker gap which would cause issues. Try driving one with less than 30 degrees or .006 gap and you'll see why dual points were needed. Now...... With a different cam or point pivot design it it is possible to get the needed 35-36 degrees.. I have done it using 1964?? Ford points and re-driling the breaker plate (1937-41). Simply stated Ford did indeed do it for increased dwell time, and as years passed they found a way to redesign the cam and entire point design to allow for one set of points.

As for the later 1950's Mallory Dual Point distributors I think is it all hogwash and a marketing scheme as with two sets of points only one set actually releases the charge from the coil.

Just my opinion of the evolution of technology.

Point Bounce is related to the point spring tension and one or two points would not affect that.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote