View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 11:38 PM   #29
Dave H

Default Re: Lost key for 1931 Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop View Post
For 1931 handle You have to remove the cylinder to see the key number on it, but you need a key to remove it. :-((
Send it to Dick Crabtree
Tedious, but the cylinder can be removed without a key.
To do so clamp the shaft tightly in a vise. The nubs on the shaft must be flattened (don't file them off) with a blunt punch of hardened steel (I made mine from a VW valve stem that lost its head) so as to be able to remove parts including the stainless base with the two mounting holes. The stainless (or chromed) "barrel" will then slide off of your model handle, enabling you to see and be able to depress some of the 5 "wafers" in the cylinder. Those not directly accessible can be depressed with a narrow piece cut from stiff shim stock or tin. It will take some manipulation. With a screwdriver just slightly inside the cylinder key hole, and using a hand held pin vise with a small diameter drill bit reversed in it, press into the "mouse hole" in the cylinder face to clear a stop, and with the wafers positioned right the cylinder can be rotated counter clockwise and will release and can be slid out. The cylinder number will now be visible and a key can be made by code, or by hand fitting.
Reassemble the parts in reverse order and offset the nubs with a punch sufficiently so that they again retain the parts that were removed. Don't be tempted to drill a hole and use a cotter pin instead, it considerably weakens the shaft and can cause it to wring off.
Sometimes I get lucky, with an assortment of original keys about a third of the time I find one that fits and obviates the need for taking the handle apart.

Last edited by Dave H; 01-04-2020 at 07:42 AM.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote