View Single Post
Old 10-11-2015, 10:09 PM   #10
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: Remember that first Model A?

On the ranch, I remember as a kid, we had a 28-29 Closed Cab Pickup sitting just outside our shop and I used to get in it and pretend to drive it. Unfortunately it got sold before I had any say about it.

I got my interest in the Model A Ford a few years later when I used to go to a farmer friend of mine, Herb Seagraves, who lived about 3 miles down the Touchet River Road and up a canyon. There he had this nice restored 1928 Open Cab Pickup which belonged at one time to another neighbor. I was about 11 years old and liked to sit in the Pickup and pretend to drive it. My friend took me for rides in the pickup and I was hooked.

In the spring of 1964 he asked me to come up and pull rye out of his wheat. Hey, why not earn a little money. While at his place, I noticed that he had another Model A in the barn. It was in real nice shape and needed restored. I asked my farmer friend what he was going to do with it. As usual, he told me just what most of us have heard at one time or another. He told me that he was going to restore it someday.

Well, for the next two years or so I was always going by and looking at it. I was also admiring a 1929 Closed Cab Pickup in another shed. I kept pestering him about selling it to me because he just was not going to do anything with it as far as I could tell.

One day in September of 1966, just as I was starting my Junior year of High School, I must of got him on a good day because he asked me if I wanted to buy it. I told him yes. He told me that he would sell me the 1929 Standard Coupe and the 1929 Closed Cab Pickup on one condition….that I restore the car and pickup to original and not to a hot rod. I told him that I would so he told me that I could have both vehicles for $250.00. I couldn’t get back to the ranch fast enough. I was soon the proud owner of two Model A’s.
On the ranch, I remember as a kid, we had a 28-29 Closed Cab Pickup sitting just outside our shop
Restored the Coupe in 1980 but sold the Pickup. You should of seen the smile on my farmer friend’s face as I showed him the Coupe for which he sold me back in 1966. I then returned the favor and took him for a ride! I will never forget that day.

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 10-11-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote