Thread: 1934 headlights
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2015, 07:00 PM   #7
Floyd

Default Re: 1934 headlights

If you are concerned about the reflector, then they probably need to be "re-silvered". Actually the best performance is obtained from an electro-deposition of aluminum.
I do not believe in adding a relay to any of these old Fords that have the switch mounted at the end of the steering column. (Model A up to 39). Reason being is that switch has heavy duty contacts and wire and is in a direct path to the headlights. This setup is very efficient. What is a relay going to do here? On the later cars where the light switch is dash mounted than a relay makes sense.
If redoing the reflectors does not give you the desired results, the next step is halogen bulbs. This can open up a can of worms as the focal point may be changed and not provide good concentrated beam. In any event, do not use the easily available 6 V halogen bulbs as they usually are 50 watt or greater. Find the 35 watt bulbs. This may be hard to do but are available and not cheap. . 35 watt will allow you to use your existing generator.
Just my opinion I am a 6 Volt guy
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote