View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #11
rheltzel

Default Re: 53 8ba hard start issue

"On my 53' Merc, when that happens I just push the accelerator to the floor and hit the starter button. It takes a few cranks but it starts everytime."

Yep, that's the textbook answer to the question "How do I start a flooded engine?". But that doesn't solve the underlying problem. Regularly flooding an engine does long term damage to cylinder walls and rings. There's a reason why Hotrodsurfer's engine keeps getting flooded.

It isn't a faulty fuel pump (if it's flooded, it's getting too much gas, not too little) and, assuming it truly is flooded (pretty obvious when it happens), it is unlikely to be ignition-related, if the engine otherwise runs properly once started, although as Binx points out above, it could be. It could be a faulty carburetor, but the symptoms described indicate it only happens after the engine is hot after use.

I had exactly the same symptoms...if I would shut off the engine when it was hot. If I tried to restart it immediately, it would fire instantly; if, however, I waited 15 minutes, it was totally flooded. Using my infrared thermometer, I confirmed that the temperature of the float was above the boiling point of California's "winter blend" gasohol. Removing the top of the float bowl confirmed that there was very little gas in the float chamber...it had all boiled over and puked into the engine.

I'm not saying that something else couldn't be contributing to the problem , e.g. faulty carburetor, less than optimal ignition performance or engine cooling, but if Hotrodsurfer has accurately described the symptoms, it sounds like a classic case of excess residual engine heat boiling fuel in the carb.

Maybe Hotrodsurfer can elaborate on the symptoms and confirm whether it starts (and runs) properly under other conditions.
rheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote