View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #6
GOSFAST

Default Re: Cam Degreeing/Checking Important

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Cam degreeing nothing to it! So far every aftermarket Flathead cam I have installed for initial checking has been consistent per the cam timing card all of them have been way off. Any Flathead being built with any brand cam needs to be checked. Not a simple task for most.
Also on every engine I build when correcting the cam timing all four bolts holes in the cam gear transfer the torque each one is the correct 5/16 diameter. Ford and all replacement cam gears have only two 5/16 holes the other two are oversize. Beware of limited ways to transfer torque on your cam gear mounting.
Ronnieroadster
Hi Ronnie, no different than decreeing a Chev, or any other brand.

On these Flatheads we start by slotting (elongating) all 4 cam gear holes, when we get the cam where we want it installed we tighten the bolts (we never use the OEM bolts).

We then slide the cam out of the block with the gear still attached and set it up in a fixture I made to install a SBC type pin (1/4"). The pin ends up getting pressed into in the cam and being a "slip-fit" fit for the gear.

Once the cam is in the fixture it's a 10 minute pinning job! I'll have a shot of this maybe sometime tomorrow! It takes about another extra 5 minutes if we want the "timing-pill" in the program. In this case the pin hole (only) in the cam gear gets drilled to accept the "pill" diameter after removing it from the cam. The other 4 now slotted bolt holes allow for the movement needed to locate the cam depending on the "pill" offset, 2*, 4*, 6*, or 8*.

We check every single build we do, always have. We drill the Chevy cam gears even before we start working with them, all 4 holes.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Dale, these cams need to be moved, there is no "recommendations" on any of the cam cards where they want the cams, we wouldn't care anyway, we always put them where we know they'll work best, depending on the application!
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote