View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 40/41 pickup windshield install. What to expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Hi guys. I just had a look to see if anyone has put a video up on youtube showing a windshield glass install in a 40/41 pickup or 40 closed car. I can't see anything, so I'm going to be doing mine "cold".

So what are the pitfalls? I do have a pair of the rubbers. Where they meet, one goes inside, one goes outside, should the inside one be on the left or right? Or does it not matter?

I imagine the rubber gets put on the glass and the glass/rubber offered up to the inside. thinking about it, I need to put the side with the outside part of the rubber in first.

I replaced the rear window rubber yesterday, and that went ok. I offered it to the inside and used electrical wire in the groove to pull the lip over the flange. I imagine the front is done in a similar way, but obviously in two steps, ensuring the holes in the central part align. I'm pretty sure I saw someone mention here recently it can be difficult.

I might be overthinking it, but am I on the right track?

I'll make a video regardless.

Any advice gratefully received.

Mart.
Mart, As you're experienced with the rear window, you'll find the fronts very similar if not a tad easier to install. And yep, you are way over thinking this one. In my opinion (I've done dozens) the front glass is the easiest of all to install on closed cars.
The rubber gaskets are specific to the right or left of your vehicle. And obviously, there is only one way to install the glass to the rubber.
I believe it is easier to work from the outside of the vehicle and install the piece with the "inside" flap first. If you have a buddy that can apply some (not much) pressure evenly to the inside surface, that'll make your life that much easier.
I use nylon rope from a weed whacker but I suppose your wire works well for you so "good enough".
Use glass cleaner to lubricate the gasket where the rope (or wire) goes in.