View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 02:19 PM   #16
meric42

Default Re: Bendix Brakes Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
Maybe you already changed them; but the-brake levers are supposed to be on the inside of the shoes.
Mine are in the correct (inner) location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
From your description of shoe contact; I would think the e-brake would hold; I think the mention of tube length by others may be a clue there is a mechanical problem in actuation.

Thru some other projects; I have found that there seems to be overly long springs on the repop cables.

What the other guys have said about having to shorten the inner side of the e-brake tubes makes a lot of sense.

I have also found that the clip can be installed between the coils of the spring (leaving some of the spring inside the tube) to tune the working length.

The brake lever needs to move enough to apply the brakes both without coil bind and excessive travel.

You could put a ratchet strap around the shoes and have someone actuate the hand lever and see what is going on.
I will try moving the retaining clip part way along the spring i.e. closer to the end and see how that changes things and I will try the ratchet strap idea as well, good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29AVEE8 View Post
I don't know if this is your problem but I installed a '40 rear e-brake cable on the Lockeed brakes on the rear of my roadster. The cable I used came from C&G. The spring on the cable was much too long and very stiff. I ended up shortening it several times to get it to fit correctly but the wire diameter is much too large so the tension is too high. I talked with Mac VanPelt about this and he has the correct cable/spring. I am not knocking C&G their stuff has always been top rate and worked correctly.
As my coupe is a low mileage car I have not needed to replace the cable so mine is all original and in good condition.

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580

Last edited by meric42; 01-31-2019 at 03:06 PM.
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote