View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 07:35 PM   #4
51woodie

Default Re: Bendix Brakes Question

meric42. By you having done this install, and got the shoes in the correct orientation, I'm not going to question your knowledge of brake adjusting. Your pictures look like you got all the parts installed correctly. Like you, I installed the Boling Bros. brakes, front and rear, on my '46 Super Deluxe Coupe. My install went well, and I had no problem getting the hand brake adjusted. But, I was not initially happy with the holding ability of the hand brake, or the stopping power of the service brakes. They were good enough to get 300+ kms on the new set up before I pulled the drums to inspect the shoe to drum contact. What I found was a contact area of about 60 to 80% on each shoe. I sanded the high spots using a sanding block and 100 grit paper. The brakes were a bit better, but still not up to my expectations. I've got another +/- 500km after the sanding, but will have to wait until we get warmer weather in Northern Ontario (-38c yesterday morning) before I pull the drums to check the contact again. The other possibility is the drum diameters. Are the drums new, worn, machined? If the drums are not the original I.D. then the shoe friction material will not have the same arc as the larger I.D. of the drum, so less contact.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0287.jpg (42.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0289.jpg (46.9 KB, 799 views)
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote