Thread: Dwell RPM meter
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 11:44 PM   #18
Flathead Fever

Default Re: Dwell RPM meter

I showed my son-n-law an oil can spout and he could not guess what it was. Plus it was sitting next to a vintage oil can????? I wonder how long he would try and twist the top off that oil can before he figured it out what the spout was for?

We were still were using dwell meters in the 1980s on the Chevys, with the electronic controlled 4V carbs. That was right before fuel injection took over. It was an interesting carburetor. You set the dwell meter to the 6 cyl scale and hooked it up to the mixture control solenoid on the carb. Its just an auxiliary fuel injector on the carb to fine tune the air fuel ratio for the best catalytic convertor efficiently. The dwell meter read the on and off time of the solenoid, just like it does a set of points. You adjusted air fuel mixture screws until the dwell was right in the middle of the 6 cyl scale. That gave the computer the ability to adjust the mixture control full lean or full rich by opening the mixture control solenoid for a shorter or longer period of time. Those carbs ran good when they were adjust properly. I have all this knowledge and nobody to pass it on to. It almost makes me feel like I wasted my life. Gasoline powered cars will just be a very brief time in history. I'm glad I didn't live in the horse drawn era and I'm glad I have no interest in today's 100K+ Tesla's electric golf carts. Future people are never going to understand why we were so fascinated with our primitive engines.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote