View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #2
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: Rebuilt Flathead Problems.

Looks like the rebuilder put the crank gear on backwards! Thats the only reason to not see a dot on the crank gear. Its possible to correct this without removing the crank gear which is near impossible to do with the crank installed. First I would be sure the front of the crank gear is flush to the front of the cam gear if it is then i would move on to the next step. The next step requires the right side head to be removed so the piston can be located at top dead center. When this step is completed now a timing dot can be marked onto the crank gear.
The final step will be a bit more difficult moving the cam shaft to the proper position so the cam gear dot lines up with the crank gear. This step is difficult due to the fact you need to move the cam without the cam gear bolted in place turning the cam with the valve spring pressure is the hard part. To rotate the cam to the correct location I would use two long 6/16 fine thread bolts placed in two of the cam bolt holes this will give a leverage point to turn the cam which at the same time will also be working the valves. The cam gear bolt pattern is not even spaced so the proper location of the cam will be found as you check the bolt pattern to the pattern in the cam gear.
This is not a simple job but also not impossible with a little effort you will solve the problem.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)