Thread: Jump Starting?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
Old Henry

Default Re: Jump Starting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Would carrying a 6v motorcycle battery be a substitute for a similar 12v jump box?
-VeryTangled/Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
How about the idea of just carrying a motorcycle battery in place of a hot-shot would they have enough amps to get a satisfying crank?

-VeryTangled/Jeff
If the motorcycle battery was off of a 3,900 cc motorcycle (that's the size of the 239 cu.in. V-8 flathead) it might work. Think you can get one that big? Not likely. For a 6 volt battery to start a flathead V-8 it must have 700 cold cranking amps (CCA). Just a quick browse for the largest motorcycle battery I could find was 350 CCA - only half of what you'd need. Of course, they're all 12 volt - not too good to start 6 volt systems. Might as well carry a spare car battery but how to keep it fully charged and ready when you really need it? That's just one more thing to worry about.

CCA's are critical. I found that out after being sold a 6 volt golf cart battery by a "knowledgeable" NAPA guy when I first restored my car. Great big huge battery. Had to be good. Right? - to power a golf cart? NO! I soon found out that if I wanted to move my car with the starter motor the battery would move it quite a ways but to start it in the winter? not so good. Gotta have the CCA's.