View Single Post
Old 05-02-2021, 12:50 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 55-56 Ford power steering

I have used '57/58 control valves and ram cylinders on a '55 before. Far is I know here are the differences:
54/55/56 control valves had a separate and removeable clamp for the steering arm-to-idler arm rod. The '57 and later control valves had that clamp built-in to the control valve drag-link sleeve. Pretty sure all other internal components are interchangeable. The '57 and later control valves had smaller threaded holes for the ram-cylinder pressure and return ports. No big deal. Just change power steering hoses with smaller fittings.
The older ram cylinders had an external pressure release pipe on the outside of the ram cylinder connected to ends with copper fittings. The later cylinders had internal passage for this. Seems like the older cylinders had a larger piston rod than the newer ones, which meant that the washers, sleeve, nut and locknut were a different size.
But there's nothing that would affect it's operation. The components are a bolt-on swap.
There may have been differences in 59 or later components I am not aware of for a power assist system that might cause the need for modifications/adjustments.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)