View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #11
40 Deluxe

Default Re: Oldest daily driver... with highway speeds

Ah, nostalgia! "The older I get, the faster I was", etc. Or, "They don't make them like they used to!" Actually, this is a good thing! They make them much better now! I have seen this first-hand as a mechanic for most of my working life. It was the older vehicles that were worn out by 100,00 miles (if they made it that far!). In fact, hitting 100,000 miles in a '50's or '60's car was a milestone! Few pickups went that far. By then the upholstery was shot and the floors, fenders and rocker panels were rusted out. Older pickup cabs like you mention were cramped, hot and noisy when new.
At the Arizona Highway Dept., we had Ford, Chevy and Dodge pickups that had up to 300,000 miles on them with no engine or transmission problems.
So if you're looking for a simple, reliable rig (since you live where there's no road salt) I'd suggest a late '80's-early '90's F150 with the 300 six or 302 and 5 speed manual. Just be sure it is new enough to have fuel injection!

Old vehicles are a fun hobby, but not practical nor safe for a daily driver in urban areas!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote