Thread: head puller
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
carguybill

Default Re: head puller

Lawrie, thanks very much for posting the photo. The design of this tool implies to me that it is a universal tool designed to be used on many head configurations. I think that this design would be relatively easy to duplicate.

I wonder if the original set had 4 crossbars to go along with the 4 studs. It would seem to me that pulling on all 4 plug holes at the same time would minimize the possibility of pulling out the sparkplug hole threads or warping the heads particularly with stock aluminum heads like I have on my '34.

As you said on my earlier thread: . . . maybe you could make a plate up the fits over the head and mounts off the 4 plug threads.and drill and tap some jacking bolts onto the studs, the heads are going to be toast any way. (Emphasis is mine)

The possibility of "toasting" the heads is exactly why I'm proceeding with great caution. In the current V8 Times I see that the 33 - 36 aluminum 21 stud heads have been reproduced, that's great news but the $1800 per set cost is what I would like to avoid if possible.
carguybill is offline   Reply With Quote