View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 10:56 PM   #1
Low-Blow

Default Rebuilding An 8Ba - Tips & Suggestions?

First of all, let me say that this is my first post here at Ford Barn. I have been a member of the H.A.M.B. for several years now, and was told that I could get really good advice on my project here. I recently scored a stock 8Ba out of a '53 Customline. I have no history on the the engine as far as when it last ran, or if there were any problems with it. The guy that I bought it from told me that the engine turned freely, but that there were a few valves that would not close. I have always wanted a Flathead, and the price was right, so I bought it. I brought it home and started tearing into it. With some help from an older friend, I now have a bare block. From initial inspection, there is only one crack. And, it is no where near the cylinder bore. I am in the process now of getting all the rust/scale out of the water jackets. I am then going to de-grease it and send it to the machine shop to have it magnafluxed and pressure tested.

My plans are to build something more than stock, but not a race engine. It will be a cruiser, and something that I would like to get 20K miles out of. My flatty has the EAB heads, which I am going to reuse. My older friend has a 4" Merc crank that he is going to let me use. It will likely need to be ground because of some rusting on the journals. I am also going to run dual 94 carbs. Some immediate questions that I have are as follows.

1. The cylinders do not have much wear. Assuming that the block checks out at the machine shop, how much should it should it be bored?

2. Cam recommendation? I definitely want it to have that nasty, loping sound.

3. Adjustable lifters or not?

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Low-Blow is offline   Reply With Quote