View Single Post
Old 03-01-2024, 04:19 PM   #31
Chip2020

Default Re: Model A tech advisors team from Paul Shinn

Hi Paul,

I have a 1931 Model "A" that is running with a Model "B" engine. Currently, the car has a bored out "A" intake manifold with a gravity fed '32-'34 Model "B" carburetor. The hole for the Model "B" fuel pump is covered with a "block off plate".

My question is the feasibility of removing the "block off plate" (the camshaft has the proper lobe for the fuel pump operating lever) and installing a freshly rebuilt Model "B" fuel pump to provide fuel to the Model "B" carburetor, since the "B" carb was designed to be used that way.

My concern is that in 1932, a Ford Model "B" had the gas tank located in the rear of the car, at a level lower than the carburetor, so a fuel pump was mandatory. But my Model "A" has the gas tank located in the stock position, higher than the level of the carburetor (and the proposed fuel pump). This configuration would allow gravity to provide some fuel pressure (maybe 0.5 psi) to the inlet side of the fuel pump, which is not exactly what the Model "B" was designed for.

The fact that fuel would probably push through the pump when the engine is off, should not pose a huge problem, although I would have to install a fuel cut-off valve after the pump and before the carburetor. Also, I would no longer be able to run the carburetor empty when I shut the car down for an extended period of time (cut-off valve could never be closed while engine is running).

So, several questions still remain:

1) Would the gravity feed fuel pressure applied to the inlet side of the mechanical fuel pump cause damage to the pump itself and/or the carburetor due to over pressurization? If so, is there a way to mitigate this issue?

2) Are there other problems with this fuel system configuration that I may not have considered?

3) Are there any alternative methods of getting higher fuel pressure to the Model "B" carburetor (or eventually a downdraft carburetor) that do not involve installing an electric fuel pump and regulator?

Since I have a Model "B" engine and already own a well-functioning mechanical fuel pump that will fit it, I would prefer the mechanical option over the electric one.

Thanks Paul. With your knowledge and experience, I'm hoping that you can provide answers to my questions as well as some valuable insight into my proposed fuel system conversion. -Chip
Chip2020 is offline   Reply With Quote