Thread: Vinegar
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #16
RB

Default Re: Vinegar

Had a slight heat problem & could see through the radiator neck small flakes of rust were partly blocking the tubes, some of which were removed by back flushing with water. To test the water so to speak,I put some muratic acid in a small container with some scrap solder & fragments of brass & copper from a junk radiator to see what if any adverse results might result with no problems. At this point I chose to remove the radiator, blocked the hose outlets & filled it with a gallon of straight muratic acid. After an hour or so removed the acid, water flushed & again refilled with the filtered acid, repeated this proceedure several times with great results. While it was obvious the rust flakes were coming from the engine I chose to flush the engine using only water, as over the years have found cleaners can lead to water pump leakage. I did however placed a stainless filter screen in the radiator hose neck made & formed from a small kitchen flour sifter, This enabled an easy periodic check & will keep fragments from repeat tube blockage. After several checks to see if in fact the screen was becoming blocked I intended to remove it,however after several lengthly outings & no problems the screen is still in place & no heat problems to date. Take care, Ron Baker
RB is offline   Reply With Quote