View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #3
rotorwrench

Default Re: Complete Wiring for '51 Mercury

I haven't found any vendor that offers plastic coated wiring in correct colors for the mid century Mercury cars. Rhode Island Wire coats their fabric outer insulation cover so it will last longer than the OEM did but they aren't cheap. The others, like what Mac's sells, are less expensive but they don't coat the fabric insulator cover for each wire. They will likely last as long as the OEM which was around 20 years or so if not well kept. The wiring is a little bit larger in diameter than original and may have fit issues in tight places.

I have to warn folks that the harnesses sold for these cars are not always sold as a set. You have to buy the individual circuit harnesses and there are quite a few individual harnesses. You have to know he wiring pretty well before you order. I always suggest purchase of one of the large laminated circuit diagrams from flea-pay if they are still available. The new stuff comes with a diagram supplied for each harness they sell but only for that individual harness. Some cars have power accessories and some don't so this is why they sell the separate harnesses. Some folks only want to by one to repair the circuit that is problematic and not the whole car.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote