View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #16
scicala

Default Re: tri-power problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post
Sal, what do you think about using the carb throttle base's offered by Charlie Price at Vintage speed ? they do not have any of the idle mixture screws or idle circuits. Do you think these would work with a tri-power with straight linkage? ( I know that most would do progressive, but I have seen this type set up in the past and it appeared to work ok, and the linkage on the car is already there and is straight.) Problems to set-up? just a thought.

Jim,

You should be able to get it working OK with the direct linkage (all three at the same time) with the Vintage speed bases made for the end carbs. My description was basicly doing the same thing a cheaper way. I know my version will leak a slight amount of air, but with the idle stops, it will be the same every time, so the idle speed will not change. Buying the new throttle bases would probably be the best if you have the money. Either way should work. One thing nice about the Vintage speed bases is that they also have return springs to ensure returning closed.
The real trick is adjusting the linkage so when idling on the middle carb, you make sure the linkage attaching to the end carbs is neither pushing or pulling on the end carb levers. The idle speed and mixture screws need to be adjusted on the center carb before hooking the linkage to the end carbs. Wish I was there to help you with it. Wouldn't mind touring Fairbanks again. I was there at Ft. Wainwright in '70 and '71 before the oil pipe line days.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote