View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 08:29 AM   #9
scooder

Default Re: Intake exhaust heat

Just for your interest.
I was thumbing through Mac Hills pickup truck 1932-1952 book. Came across an interesting pic on page 80. It shows the engine, transmission, frame and steering column of a 1939 pickup. This pic is dated 9-20-38. Obviously a 24 stud engine, looks like 1939 transmission and hydraulic brakes. All what we expect given the date. Apparently a factory photo. The steering column lower has a protective paper wrap.
The bit that I found interesting, the intake manifold is aluminium with the low fuel pump perch. It is the same type fitted to circa 1935, where the forward and backward intake runners sit above and below each other. (Unlike later types where they sit side by side). All the intake manifolds I've seen of this circa 1935 type have the exhaust heat hole in the carb mounting face.
This being a 1939 frame has quite clearly a C&G/Ford/Holley 94 sat on the intake!
As has been discussed, this isn't compatible, the power valve would get burnt.
But their it is in a Ford pic!
So I'd like to know when Ford started using a hole less intake. The book shows a proper (without hole) 94 intake on a 1942 pickup. What was used in 1940?
Did Ford just rely on a asbestos gasket to seal of the hole before '42?
Mr shoebox, it's possible that intake was on there from new, judging by the above info.
Sorry for long post, hope someone finds it interesting.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote