View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 10:17 AM   #25
tubman

Default Re: how to remove coil 1941 merc

"Kube" - As I have said, it has been a long time since I was deeply involved with pre-war engines (I had an 8BA in my '36), so I only know what others tell me. That is that the condensers available from the usual sources are a "crap shoot" at best and the hobby could use a reliable unit. This is the first I have heard of the "Hunt's Condensers". As such, I have no idea of their quality or whether they are "concourse correct" or not. The prototypes I have made use original Ford script cases with updated innards. Because of my experience with my "trash can" units, I have no doubt my updated units will be dead stone reliable. Whether there is a viable market out there is to be determined. I was planning on selling these units on a straight out or exchange basis. The exchange price would be about on a par with the one you quoted for a Hunt unit.

"rockfla" - I have to defer to "Kube" on this, but it looks like the unit shown in the diagram is a later replacement. I don't have an example of one of those, but it looks like it would be much easier to replace than a correct original. I have no interest in making a replacement for a non-original part. I find it curious that what looks like an official Ford diagram would show anything other than a strictly original unit.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote