View Single Post
Old 11-20-2022, 04:16 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Supercharging a Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
If I was going to supercharge my Model A, I am not, I would consider adapting a small engine turbo charger, even one for a motorcycle. With an innercooler the integration could get complicated real quick. The advantage is that you are utilizing the exhaust heat that normally gets thrown away and there is no additional load on the crankshaft. I think that a different cam grind may be needed.
Neil, I would think the biggest drawback to a turbo on a Model-A is the engine is very low speed so the lag (-slow spool-up) would make it a slug to drive. Especially if an aftercooler were used. Also, a detriment with a turbo would be the siamesed exhaust ports of a Model-A engine block. Because of this, a blower on a Model-A engine actually helps overcome the exhaust's restriction.

Additionally, to enjoy the benefit of the turbocharger, the transmission gearing really needs to be very close ratio-ed where the turbine can stay spooled-up thru a wastegate with little RPM drop the exhaust pressure will remain high when the transmission is shifted to the next gear. I think every time the Model-A transmission was shifted to a different gear, the RPM drop would make the performance feel very sluggish while waiting for it to return to the horsepower band. Just my thoughts, ...others experiences may vary.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote