View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 06:45 AM   #19
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Running too Lean?

I would go start with what Pete has suggested and test it again . . . is an easy test and you might just cool it some more. Bigger jets might just do the trick for the highway related issues . . . BUT . . .

With that said, I believe that your radiator does not have enough cooling capacity to handle the job (my opinion). You mentioned that it will overheat in traffic - just idling. When you're just idling, you're not even using the main jets - just the idle mixture screws . . . so if it overheats sitting in traffic, you most likely do not have enough cooling capacity (given that you've already messed with the advance). I realize nobody really wants to have to buy a new radiator and that cheap aluminum ones are just that . . . cheap . . . but you'll probably find that once you re-core a stock style radiator, that it will cool.

I have a 284 cube motor in my 32 - have Skips water pumps and had the 32 radiator re-cored - stock gen/fan setup . . . I can idle in traffic on a hot day and not overheat (was at the GoodGuys show a couple years ago - took an HOUR in 90+ degree weather to leave the darn place!).
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote