View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
likesoldstuff

Default Re: New 1932 5 window bodies

These bodies are being made in Taiwan as an exclusive (they own the tooling) for United Pacific Industries. UPI is best known for their inexpensive (but good quality) LED kits for many cars (I'm in the industry, can ya tell?). They all produce quite a bit of repro GM trim in Taiwan, pretty good stuff. The body was debuted at SEMA but was not complete yet. Not sure about the "same or heavier than original" claim, it does seem thinner than original from what I saw and felt but is made from high tension-high strength steel (different process than Henry used). My feeling is if you are doing a repro steel body anyway (not real Henry) who cares where it is made if it is well built and saves some coin?
The Brookville cars are all stamped by Experi-Metal in Michigan. Experi-Metal also does the SAR 33-34 cars and the CARS/Sherman '55 and '57 convertible bodies. Very nice stuff but very expensive.
Nice that UPI elected to build the 5-window and not trample Brookville's 3-window and roadster market. I am also told that since the '32 firewalls are already repro'ed, UPI is going to stay away from those as well. The tell-tale on these new cars will be when a few get built and we'll see what the builders think (how many hours they have to spend cutting, re-welding, re-fitting) of them. A new body is a bunch of trouble if nothing fits, panels are wavy and stuff has to be reinforced to work well. You can put lots of hours into that nonsense.
likesoldstuff is offline   Reply With Quote