View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #8
drkbp

Default Re: Headlights & tailights - pre 1915

I believe the NY inspection question is addressed above.

Dodge, I do agree that it is a real treat to see one of these cars all lit up!

Texas doesn't require inspections on cars with antique plates but I will comment on acetylene/kerosene lit Model T's as I drive mine with the original lamps on a routine basis. I have John Browns but they are all essentially the same.

I use the acetylene "B" tank on my '14 Touring with a small regulator as Jack shows above. A "Prest-O-Lite" setup was a definite "upgrade" on a Model T and shipped on some new Model T's from the Ford factory. In fact, "Model T serial number 1" was shipped with a Prest-O-Lite "B" tank.

A lot less mess than a carbide generator and much quicker to light up, or re-light. The three kerosene lamps and acetylene headlights can be lit in less than two minutes. With a good set of mirrors and 3/4 cfh burners properly focused, gas headlights will provide satisfactory lighting. Simple to maintain with an occasional trim on the kerosene wicks.

A full Prest-O-Lite "B" tank can be purchased for about $130. Once you own the tank, the "B" tanks are swapped at the welding supply house for about $25-$27 for another full one. The tank will burn T headlights for 24 hours, and considering today's cost of carbide, at about 1/4th the cost of carbide generator gas.

If you don't have a functioning carbide generator, POL may be the way to go. You need the brackets to mount the tank and I recommend a small regulator to get the consistent low acetylene pressure for headlights. The rest of the headlight system on the Model T is the same whether you use a carbide generator or POL tank.

Simple system and it does work!
drkbp is offline   Reply With Quote