Thread: Brake drums
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2023, 02:23 PM   #3
nkaminar

Default Re: Brake drums

The way the brakes are set up on a Model A are sort of a carry over from the Model T, which only had rear brakes (in the transmission). The thought at the time was to put more braking effort on the rear wheels to keep the car straight. We now know that the car leans forward when hard braking so that more braking should be on the front. One way to fix this is to put the lever arms used on the rear on the front. They are longer so more braking is on the front. A small collar is needed to reduce the size of the hole in the rear lever arms. There are left and right rear arms so that the arms can be placed in the front to move the rods out a touch to miss the shock absorbers. The arms can also be bent cold as they are ductile. Do not put the arms in the front at the usual 15 degrees but more like 10. If I remember correctly the arms need to be drilled for the pins and the pins peened. After installation it also helps to back off the rear brakes one notch or more. The rear wheels should not skid in hard braking like they normally do with the front wheels not skidding, but all wheels should leave marks on the pavement. I am not sure it this applies to 32 brakes.

To answer the question regarding 40 drums on a 32 braking system, just measure the drums. The first measurement would be the diameter. If it is not the same then you can stop there. Also, just try them. I don't have 32 or 40 parts laying around or I would measure them for you.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 03-24-2023 at 02:33 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote