View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #20
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: NJ is pulling titles on Hotrods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris/Mass View Post
I recall that Boyd Coddington got in trouble with the State of California several years ago. Look up "Ship of Theseus".
Your absolutely right, Boyd was buying up junk cars and titles and then putting them on his hand crafted cars. By doing so the taxes paid were that of the original titled car and not what the actual selling price of the rod.

As for Ship of Theseus, we have discussed this at car shows and club meetings. This is one of those things that only have one "true answer" in my opinion. Anything changed that is not designed to change (air, oil, grease) make the car no longer an original.

With that said the question comes up can you still have a "Model A" with things changed. Again in my opinion yes! My criteria for a "Model A" is that the car contains all the things and lines that are expected on the original. Repair patches, yes, additional louvers and vents, no. New wire wheels, yes, 16" Wheels, no. Stainless bumpers, yes, Chrome dual horns with chrome light bar, no.

Now for my gray areas, as long as it does not change the drivability of the car its, ok. What does that mean? Alt is ok, automatic transmission, not.

Are all these cut and dried "rules" that I have, no. While the driveability of the car is not effected by juice brakes the fact that there are parts no longer used and no longer on the car it is my personal view is you no longer have an complete A.

So the example of the car that started this whole thread is that I agree with the State and it is not a model T worthy of discount plates and title.

As for States wanting to check the frame number of an otherwise "stock" Model A. I say leave us alone, what is the purpose of doing so? We have the car it is real. It has all the parts that as I stated make it a Model A why hassle us about the title. Does it really matter as far as the car remaining a Model A that the engine was built in 1931 instead of 1929? If someone had a business of building cars from parts and selling them you may have an argument. Or if your car was never titled and your state requires it then maybe an inspection is warranted. If they come out and state that they just want more money and they are enforcing laws on the books, at least I can give them credit for honesty (my town collects fines for running red lights using cameras, they at least say it is to raise funds and not the nonsense about making the intersection safer)

These are my views and I'm a nobody in this hobby. I don't judge cars (although I would love to learn), I don't restore cars so take the above for what you will.