Thread: Pan Gasket
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #17
john charlton

Default Re: Pan Gasket

I have done this quite a few times over the years just to check out the bottom end . It really is simple . The semi circular plate has to come off first very early cars have 5 7/16" bolts the later has 3 . I put a small floor jack under the pan after the car is up on axle stands . I take a bit of weight on the floor jack and remove all the retaining bolts sometimes the pan needs a sideways bop to loosen the gasket seal . The oil pump will drop down with the pan but this does not matter easier to inspect it later . Do not use a bolt to hold the pump in place or you will damage the tapered hole {for ever). Before you put the pan back aided by the floor jack insert the pump back in the block and secure it in place by a cable tie through the adjacent bolt holes and around the back of the pump stalk .Engage several bolts to hold the pan up in place then snip the cable tie and pull it clear . When putting the flywheel cover plate back the middle one is a sod to fit,I cut the bolt short and leave the lock washer out .

John in Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote