View Single Post
Old 11-29-2020, 01:48 PM   #12
zuburg

Default Re: I’m getting close to trying to start my 1956 bird after a lonnnnng ordeall

Thanks to all for the pointers. I now know why I was confused and didn’t have the outlet tube (passenger side) tube. The hole was blocked off with a bolt (see 1st picture). Good news: I can see the crossover tube. Bad news: it does not hold pressure when I blow through it while plugging the other end with my finger. 2nd picture shows the end of the old inlet tube that broke off trying to remove it from the brass elbow. I’m guessing the long tube looks similar or worse? l’m guessing it might be hard to remove the long tube based on the shape of the inlet tube?

In looking at the Concours catalog (love their illustrated catalog, it helped me more than the shop manual), on page 76, it shows part # 9492 (57, heat tube end “mushroom” plug on the inlet (driver side) looking like you plug the inlet side with it. It also shows the inlet tube with brass elbow. I assume one would use one or the other depending on your situation? When would you use the plug? It does not show the plug on the outlet (passenger side).

Questions:

1. When would you use the mushroom plug mentioned above?

2. What would happen if you had the inlet tube connected but the outlet side plugged? Would it still run? Would the choke effectively not work? I live in NC, pretty moderate temps. The car started set up this way, even with all it’s other issues.

3. What would happen if I hooked up both the inlet and outlet tubes as normal, knowing the crossover tube does not hold pressure? Would I get some heat to help the choke?

4. I have one new line with fittings that I have yet to install and am not sure what it is (last picture). The only thing I can think of is the fuel line going to the fuel pump. I currently have a rubber fuel hose connecting the metal line from the tank with a short line from the fuel pump.

5. I searched for some info on an electric choke in case I needed to do that to solve my problem with the heat tube but didn’t find any specifics other than you might have to modify one to work in the opposite direction. Any pointers to specific posts? I FOUND A YOUTUBE VIDEO ON HOW TO INSTALL ELECTRIC CHOKE TO HOLLY 4000 (LOOKS EASY AND STRAIGHTFORWARD) If I go this route, do I plug both holes for the long heat tube?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0394C07E-FC90-4FEA-A221-85CC5DFBCDFB.jpg (49.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 29360E1A-3A85-4C1B-831C-73A69DA81FD1.jpg (47.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DFCEAA2F-5577-4614-AFBF-E6A1BAB602C6.jpg (48.2 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by zuburg; 11-29-2020 at 03:55 PM.
zuburg is offline   Reply With Quote