View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 02:05 PM   #15
dmsfrr

Default Re: Front engine mount for 292 Y-block

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuburg View Post
. . . Is it possible the previous owner put all the 292 parts on the 239 block to make everything fit on the bird? The damper looked like pictures of T-bird dampers I’ve seen including the ones posted above by dsfsrr.
. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Anther caveat ... ... there were two different 1954 239CI ENGINES, one made in DETROIT (PASS CAR) and the other made in Cleveland (TRUCK), the CLV having the more advanced design(s) of the later 272. There was also a 256 MERC (and FORD PI) that was a CLV engine so after all of these years anything could have happened. If the engine accepts later 292 front dress, it is most likely a CLV engine, if it is actually a 239 or 256.
. . .
dmsfrr had the same situation ... with his 55 BIRD.
Yes it's possible many of the T-Bird 292 parts were put on the 239.
The Cleveland cast '54 256 block & heads that were in my '55 had the correct style oil pan, valley pan, timing cover, water pump spacer and damper pulley on them to fit in the T-Bird engine compartment. There was also a '57 "B" intake manif and '57 tach drive dist on it. (figure that one out )
The blocks themselves seem to be similar enough that nearly all of the bolt-on parts fit just fine.
I suspect Ford did this on purpose so the same blocks could be used across car & truck model lines for inventory, redesign and re-tooling cost savings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EBY 256 block.jpg (45.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 4 lower bolts, timing cover.jpg (48.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 11-29-2020 at 04:15 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote