View Single Post
Old 04-15-2020, 10:37 PM   #15
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Rear end recommendations

I think h
the use of an ( or) ich Ford rear is not the issue here. WE all have a favorite and so be it. My suggestion is based on bring the vehicle up to later standards at a minimun of cost. Having owned several 40/53 Fords and Mercs I can say they didn't ride bad handled well for their time, but the brakes were marginal even then. I have access to several junk/scrap yards and worked for one for 7 years druing the late 90"s. So I go shoping for the best (cheapest ) way to solve a problem. At present i'm running a late 90's rear spicer 44a rear from a Jeep grand cherokee. THis has 373 rear with posi and fits nicely under my 47 International pickkuo cost 150. New brake pads and EB cables anothe 50 shocks from a nid size GM car and the ride back there is quite nice. The fron suspension is from a 42;48 Ford with a Speedway disk conversion. Agan the cost was minimal . The trans is an RTS behind a 280 flathead with a modified steel bellhousing using the stock clutch . It stops pretty good I use 236/15 wheels from a ford ranger PU.

Very few of these Items are very expensive to the yards because there is very little demand for then (except the trans) and if the yard has one ready for the crusher , they'll probably cut itout for a few bucks. However, I try to improve the vehicle aswell as make it rideand handle better, probably comees from a racing background
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote