View Single Post
Old 07-14-2019, 08:39 PM   #1
History

Default Zenith carburetor rebuild?

I just removed the carburetor and took it apart. The Venturi was already in two pieces as someone had ground the one side smooth while the other is sort of ragged. All jets and parts came out freely without any problems. It was/is nasty inside but nothing solid that I found. No piles of rust as I've seen in some photos. The inlet filter was a little rusty and all the jets seem open. (((The throttle lever has a tiny amount of play but I don't know if it warrants a repair, it's so small I can't see it move side to side but I can feel it.)))

I've read now for three days different articles on the zenith and I am slowly becoming educated on its design and function. I have it apart sitting on the bench at my shop and I have a few questions to ask you carb gurus,,,,,,.

I have read about flow tested jets and have found someone offering those jets. Does that mean I'll get what ford, size wise offered? Should I even rebuild with new jets as mine look ok? What about the passage plugs? Should I drill them and clean and replace? I'm ok doing that but if the kit I get doesn't offer perfection what's the use. Should I get a milled Venturi or one that's bead blasted original? (Not making a points car)

Look at the photos please and see if they clue you into how I should proceed.

Thanks for any advice or help with the matter.

I have used carb cleaner on the card before the photos is why it looks so nasty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1420.jpg (32.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1419.jpg (32.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1418.jpg (36.5 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1417.jpg (46.7 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1421.jpg (31.3 KB, 124 views)
History is offline   Reply With Quote