View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 04:17 PM   #86
Cape Codder

Default Re: Terriable backfiring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have always read on this site to get back to the board when the problem has been resolved and how. Well here I am.

A little background. Engine did a lot of backfiring and rough running. I did a compression check: Cylinders 1, 2 and 4 had 60 lbs. in each. 3 had 48 lbs. I followed this with a blow down test. This showed air being blown from #3 to #4 cylinder. I reversed that process and #4 was now blowing into #3. This indicated to me that the head gasket was blown. WORKED at getting the head off a considerable time but finally accomplished that. Found head gasket intact. Looked at valve adjustment and found #3 exhaust shut. At this point decided to take valves out and lap seats but #3 exhaust didn't look to good after the lapping so had a machinist come and CUT the seats with the engine in the car. Installed all NEW valves because old ones had VERYnarrow margarine's. Now engine didn't run well and thought it was a distributor problem and went on to change a condenser in the second distributor. Still not running well.
Changed with a different carburetor from a engine that ran well but still did not help. Then assembled another carb. from the shop with parts I had on hand. Took car out yesterday for a ride and picnic with my buddy and his wife and of course on to Ice Cream. This car runs well and sure am now a happy Model A Owner!

Thanks to all for your advice and suggestions!!
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote