Thread: Battery Tenders
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #24
1948F-1Pickup

Default Re: Battery Tenders

Gee, another battery tender thread. Imagine that. Seems like I just responded yesterday....

Anyway here's my generic response-
"Any battery will go bad just sitting there...... hooked up or not...... current draw or not. That's the nature of the beast. I worked for Douglas Battery and Delco (Delphi). Wrote warranty and did plenty of battery autopsies. You hear a lot of stuff about batteries, that's for sure.
On two cars that are literally never driven, I have maintainers. A Genius G750 on one car and a Battery Tender (not sure which model) on the other.
The argument would be that the cars should actually be driven but with 5 others in constant rotation, we have plenty of wheels for the two drivers in the house."

How long do my batteries last? Flooded style, in a car in use, seem to go about 7 years. Current day Optimas, about the same. In an un-driven car....
an Optima (not even hooked up) they seem to have a shelf life of 5 years until totally dead and not capable of being resuscitated.
The two cars that have the battery maintainers have only had them for a couple of years, so too early for any conclusions.

Last edited by 1948F-1Pickup; 10-24-2020 at 02:34 PM.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote