Thread: 3 ring pistons
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 07:49 PM   #1
Fordestes

Default 3 ring pistons

I have a stash of 3 ring aluminum 3-3/16 pistons Ford part # 09A6110- G .060 over. are these suitable for a stock engine , I realize ford went to a 4 ring design and some of us are using 4 ring pistons and leaving off the fourth ring ,the ring lands are 3/32 compression and 5/32 oil ring, also I'll need wrist pins and retainer clips, who sells new old stock wrist pins ? and is there an alternative to the wire clips such as an internal flat double eye (common hardware store ) steel snap ring ? these pistons have the side slots, is there a clearance spec for the slotted type or is .0015-.002 wall to piston skirt clearance acceptable? also there are two steel pieces inside just below the ring lands with cut outs that look as if they are for piston expanders, are piston expanders required on these New pistons ? I have found that there are quite a few surprises on these early fords when it comes to unusual design and maybe product field testing, I was thinking maybe the 3 ring pistons were a discontinued for some failure reason?
Thanks
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote