View Single Post
Old 08-19-2020, 01:26 PM   #1
Jrappl

Default Mile-o-matic servo piston seal question

I have a 1959 Edsel Ranger 292 with the aluminum case Mile-o-matic 2 speed. I'm restoring the car and am cleaning and resealing the transmission.

I got a seal kit for the transmission and everything in it looks right except for one of the servo piston seals. The front servo piston is 3 5/8" in diameter and the rear is bigger at about 3 7/8" but both piston seals in the kit are the same size. Matching the old seals all other seals in the kit are much bigger or smaller.

The new seal size is slightly smaller than the original one I removed from the front piston - the old one could have stretched a little in 61 years and I'm not concerned about this fit. The problem I'm having is using that same size seal on the bigger rear piston. I can stretch it and it's not hard to get it on the bigger piston but I'm worried that being stretched out it might get thinner and not seal.

I called the the kit seller but after looking through all the books they had on hand they said it came in a kit and they don't have a separate listing for the 2 piston seals so couldn't tell me if the seals in the kit would work.

Does anybody have any experience with these servo piston seals? Can I just use the same size seal on both pistons?
Jrappl is offline   Reply With Quote