View Single Post
Old 03-18-2020, 01:58 PM   #19
Phil Gillespie

Default Re: 59a Engine Failed Big Time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
Just because it is nos doesn't mean it is good, some nos parts stayed on the shelf because they didn't fit properly
A broken rod will stitch out a cam and the block
Since 7 was hitting try the other head and foil balls, clay and see it both heads have same clearance
What condition are the cam bearings--- a cam bearing failure could cause the oil pressure loss, and the cam loosing support of the bearing could break
A very loose rod bearing can let the pistons hit the head, but with floaters most likely it would be the pair on that journal---4-8
If the same guy did both engines find someone else for the next
Same guy did not do both engines. The cam bearings were reported replaced new ones..Will check both heads for clearance. The rod bearing nuts were tight but as stated rod bearings through to copper.
I suspected too much bearing clearance to be to cause low low oil pressure when warm.I had checked the relief and spring in oil gallery and all was ok.
The rod letting go seems to be the start of the problem then the cam as you say.
I'm wanting not to pull too much more off as may need to get an independant assessor to view to help support my claim with seller.
I really appreciate all the useful comments with this screw up.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote