View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 04:35 AM   #13
Synchro909

Default Re: An old time accessory for a GAZ Ford Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Hillyard View Post
That is excellent advice Bill, I will remember that! Very funny, but true about unwanted friends.

Repairing things for friends and family, as you say Tom, is a no win.

If the repair goes well you never get paid, if the repair is unsuccessful you never hear the last of it.

Some years ago I bought a complete workshop full of tools and equipment from an elderly German fellow in the UK. I asked him why he was selling everything, he said he was fed up with being the "free" local repair shop for everyone. So if he sold all his tools he would not be pestered all the time - no tools meant free time for himself.
Maybe there is a word in the English vocabulary he didn't learn. NO!
Reminds me of a brass band competition in British Columbia years ago when an American entrant's instrument was damaged in transit. It was a weekend and he needed it QUICK. He was told of a guy who might help - and he agreed to to it. When the American came to pick it up, he complained about the price. The Canadian guy behind the counter took the instrument, banged it down in the counter and said, "There, now you don't owe me anything." He flatly refused to repair it again.