View Single Post
Old 01-23-2016, 12:35 PM   #11
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Model B Carb. on a Model A - pros & cons ?

FWIW: B Carbs on Marine Engines

In the 1930's, outboard motors had antiquated 1930's varnish covered wire coils that would soften and short out with heat. Immediate re-starting of old early 1930's outboard motors was often difficult, where one had to allow the coil(s) to cool prior to re-starting.

Few fishermen, sports and/or commercial, would tolerate paddling home in the dark, or worse, in rain storms, so it became popular to install far more dependable 4 cylinder Ford engines in fishing boats.

Then, sports fishermen usually traveled at two (2) speeds ....... wide open ..... to and from their favorite fishing spot ........ and ..... stop .... to fish.

It did not take long to learn that with a four cylinder Ford A/B engine, at "wide open", a B carburetor could attain higher speeds on an A or a B engine.

My all original B carb, with original jets, came from my Uncle's B marine inboard engine.

As mentioned on a previous post, I get 20 MPG with this "unrestored" original B carb on my Town Sedan ..... never tested my Town Sedan MPG with my rebuilt A Zenith, my Tillotson, or my Sears Marvel.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote