View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 11:58 AM   #11
GOSFAST

Default Re: 8BA Edelbrock head clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61Klassic View Post
OK, so with the material in the head over the piston, has anyone tried using 4" pistons on a 4.125" crank and machining the head .125" and blending into the valve relief.
In theory this would allow compression to be kept high while allowing good flow up high in the chamber as opposed to relieving?
Hi Kev, I see two very real issues with what you're asking, first, it'll be a real headache to machine the dome sections on the heads and keep them accurate (as in the correct radius, etc.). If I recall they are machined using a 14" radius cutter. Second, I would suspect the top ring wouldn't really like where it's now located?? More so if you have a relieved block??

Not too long ago I was actually speaking with a tool mfr about having a blade made to do exactly what you're asking, machine the dome area in one shot on the CNC. When I learned about the thickness number already in play I backed off that idea pretty quick.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. One more issue I would have, even with the Edelbrocks, I'm already not really that comfortable with their .250" dimension as it is now, unfortunately "it is what it is" so to speak. If I'm reading you correctly you want to make area that thinner yet??? I have repaired a couple cracked Edelbrocks in the past directly in that dome area, both were from (B&M) "blown" units.
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote