View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #19
gearheadbill

Default Re: Wonky clutch release fork?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
I just completed the exact same conversion you have. With the flathead engine is in the engine stand i was able to determine a number of issues caused by the type of bell-housing conversion you have. First I machined the bronze pilot bushing to locate into the rear crankshaft hole. After i determined the bell housing located correctly on the crank center line. Note it was off center so i had to correct that issue. I was then able to install the T-5. Test fitting everything I discovered the input shaft length was bottoming out into the crankshaft I was barely able to turn the output shaft of the transmission. After removing 1/4 inch from the transmission pilot I was now able to turn the output shaft easily. Next issue is theres no provision for the return spring used on the Ford release hub assembly. Without the return spring the release bearing is always touching the pressure plate fingers. I see in the pictures the return spring is used if the bracket design is not centered correctly that will cause sideways issues. I made the return spring location identical to how its located in the Ford flathead transmission case so it pulls straight and on center. Seeing how little release you have like others mention thats not enough. Later model pressure plates non flathead ford type have fingers that are longer than the Ford flathead pressure plate these latter model pressure plates with longer fingers will bottom out on the release bearing hub assembly when that happens your unable to get a full release of the pressure plate. This is long winded but hopefully you can use some of this to solve your problem.
Ronnieroadster
Thank you. Good information
gearheadbill is offline   Reply With Quote