View Single Post
Old 08-26-2021, 02:18 PM   #12
philcobill

Thumbs up Re: head studs not long enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Measure the length of the stud bore in the head. That's the distance from the machined surface of the head to the stud boss on top of the head. All the stud bores should be 2-7/32". That's the stock head bore length and that's the length the studs you bought are designed for. Check your stud bore length and then come back and we'll know how bad the problem is.

It's not uncommon for vintage aftermarket heads to be a lot taller than the stock head. If yours is more than about 1/4" taller than stock, I think you're gonna need to source new studs from a place like ARP. The strength of a steel-to-steel joint increases as the length of thread engagement increases, up to one nominal diameter (e.g., for a 7/16"-14 stud, 7/16" depth of tapping or about six full turns). Beyond that there is no appreciable increase in strength. The threaded depth on the block is about 3/4", so you can back the stud out 1/4" without losing any strength in the final bolted joint.
I will check the height of the head out. Should I be concerned about loose studs if I back them out?
philcobill is offline   Reply With Quote