View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 05:25 PM   #15
CWPASADENA

Default Re: Persistent intake manifold leak

Be sure the gland rings are not too wide and will not allow the exhaust manifold to seat up tight against the block. If the exhaust manifold will not seat up tight, the intake also will not seat up tight.

Often I have to narrow down the gland rings a bit so the exhaust manifold will seat up tight. This is especially a problem with used exhaust manifolds that have been surfaced. Clean the relief in the exhaust manifold to be sure the gland rings will fit all the way in.

As far as a sealer. I use a small bead of high temp. silicone around each port opening on both sides of the gasket. I have been doing this for many years with very good results.

I have built specialty engines where I used no exhaust manifold gaskets at all. The flanges were thick and machined flat. Just a little high temp sealer and bolt it up tight. absolutely no problems.

I also like the '31 style copper gaskets. I think you have a better chance of getting a good seal.

Also, I think the float level in your zenith Carb may be too high. This is a common problem of flooding over when making a stop. I usually will solve this problem by lowering the float level a bit.

And as stated by others, take a good look at the idle circuit passage and the throttle plate. This is critical.

Again, these things I would do but others may have other ideas.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote