View Single Post
Old 01-15-2021, 06:23 PM   #10
rotorwrench

Default Re: Identifying a Cdn Mercury Flathead Heads

As mentioned 8CM or C8CM (or later replacement C1CM) heads would have the larger clearance volume for the 255 CID to have the same compression ratio as the slightly smaller 239 CID engines. Canada used aluminum a lot more since most Ford US heads were cast iron. There were high compression heads made for Ford US production and they were referred to as "Denver" heads These had a suffix with an S at the end (likely for special option). The basic part numbers were 6049 and 6050 for right & left. There were different oil filter canisters used in some cases that changed the first suffix letter after each engineering change. I think the Denver heads would have been 8BA-6049-AS for a right hand head but I don't think they made these for Mercury cars or trucks. I don't think they made any in the EAB years.

The EAB heads starting in 1952 were a step up in compression due to the more modern fuel blends that were available by that time and FoMoCo was trying to keep up with the OHV engines that the competitors had. The EAB camshaft is a good grind for higher torque and was the replacement camshaft for all earlier cams for both Ford and Mercury although the 8CM cam wasn't bad in it's time.

Most of Canada's part numbers were in line with Dearborn's numbers but they always put a C on there to designate where they came from.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote