View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 01:30 AM   #6
Jim/GA

Default Re: Model A weight distribution

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have a small tongue weight scale, called a Sherline LM 2000, that I bought from a trailer supply place. It is designed to measure the tongue weight of a trailer pretty easily as you load it and position the car. I recommend you get one. I use it whenever I load a car for the first time. Once I have it in and positioned where I want it, I make a note for that vehicle on the floor with painter's tape and reuse that spot in the future.

You have a more complicated case, with 2 different vehicles. But once you figure out the order to load and exactly where to put them, you can mark the floor like I do and repeat in the future.

I took my empty trailer to my local feed store and they weighed it for me on their scale. I knew my car's weight. So I could figure out the 10-15% of gross weight that I needed on the tongue and position the car front/back to get it on the scale.

As mentioned by others, I also use a weight-distributing hitch to push some of the tongue weight up to the front wheels (unless you are using a 5th wheel type trailer). The whole rig rides very well this way.

I hope this helps.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote