View Single Post
Old 05-14-2016, 02:07 PM   #58
Old Henry

Default Re: Alaska attempt daily report

Received a PM with this question:

"I see in your picture of your front seat on your Alaska trip you have a lap top, are you able to charge it with your 6volt positive ground?"

I do still have original 6 volt positive ground. I needed more amps to charge my laptop computer than the usual 6-12 volt inverter provides that converts the positive ground to negative ground. So, instead, I used a 6-12 volt booster.

Available here: http://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Booste.../dp/B004P9IS3I

But, with that booster that's made to boost 6 volt negative ground to 12 volt negative ground I couldn't use the car body for ground nor mount the booster to come in contact with any metal of the car. So, I ran the ground wire for the booster and power socket directly from the negative post on the battery and the positive wire directly from the positive post. And, I mounted the booster on an angle iron attached to the side of the glove box but away from the box as the booster gets real hot and I didn't want to catch the box on fire. Works great.