View Single Post
Old 03-05-2021, 11:20 AM   #10
deuce_roadster

Default Re: HVLP primer gun suggestions & experience

My friend has a HF gun for primer and at some point he figured out it cost more in lacquer thinner to clean it properly by taking it all apart then to throw it away. I have been using the same DeVilbiss siphon production gun since 1973 and I only have 1 more car to paint. I bought an expensive HPLV gun but never took it out of the box. I just can't justify the risk of learning to use something when the MONTHS of prep work and the crazy prices of paint, thinner and hardener are on the line. I KNOW what my present gun will do and am willing to know I waste some paint in more overspray. I am just not willing to risk having to completely redo a job. I did borrow a high quality HPLV gun and shot the underside of the hood and decklid of my brand X project and could see it wasn't for me. Especially since I only have 1 more car to do. I quit working on other people's cars many years ago. Gave my $600 HPLV gun to my friend. If I was younger and just learning I would use the HPLV system. I have painted between 20 and 30 cars and my habits are locked in. I don't paint because I like to, I just don't like paying for something I can do myself. I was taught by a professional which helped a lot.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote