Thread: Zenith rebuilds
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 02:42 PM   #18
Ed in Maine

Default Re: Zenith rebuilds

Hello Penthode, I'm glad you found the problem in the idle circuit. The hole in the carb throat is very small and easily plugged with debris. Flow testing the idle jet is not easy either. The jet is very small and using the micro sized drills as a round file in and out of the jet orifice can change the flow rate as much as 2-4 ml/min. I recommend a flow rate of 44-45 ml/min. You have to be very patient with this jet. With this flow rate of 44-45 ml/min. should allow you to have the adjusting screw backed out only 1-2 turns, leaving plenty of spring tension on the screw. I find that most idle jets are over sized 10-15 % when I test them which would require you too remove the adjusting screw to get the maximum possible air flow. This would mean having no idle adjustment at all!

Stalling is usually associated with having the float level too low. Most literature recommends a float level below the lower casing machined surface of 5/8 in. However, this level will have the gas level right at the top of the Main and Cap jets. If you are lucky not to park your car up too steep a hill, this float level may be OK. My experience is that while the carb may not drip gas, it will smell in your garage from gas that is evaporating off of the Main and Cap Jets. I prefer a level of 3/4 in. but not lower than 7/8 in. which could create stalling at stop signs. As long as you keep the Compensator Jet flooded, you shouldn't have a stalling problem. Good luck, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote