View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 02:05 PM   #20
ford38v8

Default Re: 1940 Ford Family Owned Coupe

TR, that's a great original Ford, and you are very lucky also to have a family history with it. If it were mine, I would restore mechanically, and preserve everything else.

I know you are set on whitewalls, but consider please, the V8 model (Standard), was an economical choice, almost never having whitewalls installed back in the day, and even the Deluxe models seldom sported whitewalls.

Earl Scheib did have a one day paint job available, I believe the cost was $29.95 back in the early 60's. For this price, you got very little prep work: A wash to remove wax, a very light sanding just to remove gloss, masking on the brightwork, and a quick spray of paint. What I'm saying here is that you may be able to salvage the original paint by carefully removing the Earl Schieb paint! It surely will have spots worn through, but originality counts big time here!

A car that has been carefully preserved today garners as much or more interest as a fully restored car. Spend many thousands on a restoration, only to see the preserved car next to you in a car show steal all the attention! The EFV8CA Rouge award (for original cars) is a prestigious thing to have!